Sunday, June 7, 2009

On death

“I wouldn't mind dying in a plane crash. It'd be a good way to go. I don't want to die in my sleep, or of old age, or OD...I want to feel what it's like. I want to taste it, hear it, smell it. Death is only going to happen to you once; I don't want to miss it.”
--- Jim Morrison

The doors genius ironically died of an OD. Life laughs at us sometimes. A friend introduced me to this quote and it got me thinking. How would I want to die?
I don’t know. But I don’t think I want to hear it. Coz all I’ll hear is people calling me back. I don’t want to taste it, coz there’ll be a bitterness of things not accomplished, not done, not experienced in a lifetime. And I definitely don’t want to smell the nauseating fear attached with it.
I would rather die in my sleep.
Jim also said,

“People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend.”

I don’t fear death. I guess I fear pain though, my own and others’. I want to be gone in a flash. Before anyone has time to grieve, to realize, to prepare. Just evaporate if possible. Just disappear.
When it comes though, I don’t want to be ready. Coz I’ll never be brave enough to die. It should sneak in from the back and whisk me away to the other land…..

2 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

“Life is too fragile” I complained,

“With blots of disappointment it lies stained,

In the threads of joy lies sorrow engrained,

Anger and jealousy leave my heart pained,

With a burden of my own emotions I lie drained,

In hypocrisy my living days are feigned,

Why dear GOD, me, to this world have you ordained?”


“My son” HE said, “You have less to fear and more to rejoice,

For each passing moment holds a new choice,

A million of life’s questions that hold you in poise,

An ability you hold of hearing the clarity in noise,

Do you know not, that us GODS fear your gift of hearing mortality’s voice?”


I've always thought a lot about how i wanna die and i figured i'd like to be surrounded by my loved ones when i do, meet them all, confess, profess, bid a fond farewell before i go...i wanna go on my terms not those set by anybody else, not even fate or God...but life, as i've always said, loves irony...so i quit planning on my death and to avenge it, decided i might as well live out well the time i have here! there are two things that are priceless to me...my mind and my time...i do not waste them on anything or anyone that i do not consider worthy! so if tomorrow never comes, i'll have had no regrets today! profound, eh?

Abdelazeez said...

Here's a quote on a tad(?) lighter side:

According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number
two is death. Death is number two!!!(?). Does that seem right to you? That means to the average
person, if you have to go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the
eulogy.
~Jerry Seinfeld