Thursday, October 15, 2009

Imagination in a cube


Office cubicles!! Fascinationg little worlds. So now, a new office and a new cubicle. Excitement, anxiety, apprehension, loneliness.....

I have always had a strange liking for small, personal, semi-enclosed places. They are like personal hideaways. So the concept of cubicles have always kinda fascinated me. After the initial lonely bout(I was in a land without boundaries previously ;) ) I have started contemplating about how I can convert the space allotted to me into my personal space.

Looked up a lot of forums. Man! people have awesome ideas. A jail, a bar, a castle. Wow!!

So all inspired, I bought myself a few photo frames. But damn electronic media, I don't remember the last time I got a photograph printed. The 21st century has people holding their laptop and cell phone screens close to their heart instead of a measly printed photo.

We do not need imagination. We live in a Harry Potteresque world today. We have slideshows and videos, where once we held close to us simple old fashioned photographs in sepia and grey. Our minds are in permanent and growing recession and it's imagination that's out of work. Adolescents have no time to daydream, their playstations and ipods take precedence.

Sometimes( that's the frequency I would admit openly) I feel I am an anachronism - misplaced in time. I still cling to old, faded photographs, travel across this world and others in my dreams and prefer to write my rhymes on paper. I am not a technophobe( I have no idea if a word like that exists but I AM NOT Googling it. Would spoil the feel. *Wink*). I love my gadgets. But I love that little hippie in me that jumps for joy at the sound of travel and music and at letting imagination run wild.

So coming back to the cube, it is in progress. I managed to get a super colorful pen stand and I'm sure I will get some of the photographs printed as soon as I can win that old familiar battle with procrastination.

But for now, in this laid back festive atmosphere I would just take respite in a nice cup of black java and my old friend, Imagination.

2 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

Well, do you know there are electronic frames that play a slideshow of your photographs?
Though I can understand the hippie in you! I still write in a diary despite my voracious appetite for blogging...in fact, tickets, tissues, the empty spaces on flyers, college desks, the occasional currency note, on one occasion even a friends arm are places where I've written many a rhyme...despite my liking for sms rhymes, I still carry a pen wherever I go!
Something I wanted to do in my cubicle when I was working, was to have one wall for my poems...I am my most favorite author after all! :P Though procrastination and subsequent entry to MBA meant I never got around to doing it...

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

ah...correction - not just author, author&poet! humility personified, eh?